Friday, January 23, 2009

So sick...

After 5 ear infections in 7 months we (us and the Doctors) decided it would be a good idea to put tubes in Bailey's ears, that was March 2008. Since the tubes were put in Bailey has bee sick many times (at least 6 since we started her at daycare in October!) but, she hasn't had any ear infections since the tubes were put in.

Well, with school starting back up at the beginning of this month, the kids headed back to daycare and of course Bailey is sick AGAIN, remember, she's a thumb sucker! It started last week with a bad runny nose, then runny eyes, then Tuesday a cough, and a fever. Usually when Bailey is sick she is still pretty happy, but this time she has been miserable! I think the hardest thing about being a parent is knowing when to take your kids to the Doctor. Most every time I take them (even when they have had really high fevers 104+) I am told it is a virus and just to control the fever. So, needless to say, we didn't take Bailey to the Dr. right of the bat because we figured it was just a nasty cold and it would run it's course.

Anyway, yesterday we decided we should take her in just to make sure. With the tubes in her ears they told us if she ever had an ear infection we would see drainage coming out so we would know for sure. I kept checking her hears and asking if they hurt, she would say no and not respond at all when I would pull on them or take her temp. So Dan was watching the kids while I was at school (since we can't take the kids to daycare when they are sick), and I met him at the Dr's office. As we were sitting in the room waiting for the doc to come in, Bailey all of the sudden started crying real bad and grabbed her ear and was saying "owee, ears ears!" so I looked at her ear and all around and in it was dried up blood tinged puss!! Bingo!! So the Doc came in and he looked in her ears and said on one side the tube was out and it looked infected and on the other side (the crusty side) there was so much in there that he couldn't see if the tube had come out or if her eardrum had burst! Poor baby! Both Dan and I felt so bad that we hadn't seen it before, especially Dan since he had been watching her all day. Hopefully the antibiotics will take care of it and she wont start having lots of infections now that her tubes are out. Otherwise we are going to have to do tubes again this year!

She slept better last night then she has in a while so I was thinking she must feel better but she woke up this morning screaming with more drainage from her ear, then she threw up because she was coughing so much!! I hate this :(

12 comments:

Melissa said...

OH Laura! I hope little Baliey gets feeling better. Thats the pits! It is probably so hard to know that something is wrong...but don't know what. Sounds like you're on the right track.

I hope that school is going okay for you. I don't know how you do it all...2 kids...husband...school! Yikes! You're pretty incredible to be able to handle it all!

Where do your kids go to day care? I'm wondering if I will go back to work after I have my baby...I'm kinda looking for a stay at home mom that would put my mind at ease when I have to leave him and go to work at couple of days a week. Do you know anyone?

Sorry that i haven't updated. Life has been super busy. I am 7 mo preg. with a boy! We are both really excited...and nervous at the same time. It should be great!

Mindy said...

So sorry!! Hope that cute little sweetie gets feeling better. Maybe she's just a tuffy like her mom :) I had my eardrum burst and the pain building to that point didn't bother me.. it's a hard time to go through, but you are doing what's best.. as moms we have to know that.

Chad and Oléa Gough Family said...

I am so sorry that B has been so sick!! I hope it doesn't last much longer. And I wish I lived up the street to watch your kids for you!!! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!
Love you!!

Trisha said...

I am so sorry. It is so hard to know just when to go to the Doctor! And half the time you do it is a "virus" and just keep them comfortable. I know it is hard to believe but they will grow out of this. And they will not miss a ton of school when they go because they will have all the immunities!!! As opposed to my kids who got every single bug that passed their way! Hang in there....you two are great parents...quit feeling bad.

Kim said...

That really sucks! Give her a big hug from her favorite aunt! lol

Todd and Melissa said...

That sounds so sad! Poor little thing!

Jill said...

Poor Bailey! I hope she gets feeling better!

Lindseylou said...

Poor darlin'. Don't feel too bad, Wyatt couldn't hear me and I just thought he was ignoring me. Good luck, we still battle the ear business. Just had the T tubes put in that will have to be surgically removed. Gotta love it. Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Your story sure sounds familiar. Both of my kids have had tubes or have them. With Carter he got so many ear infections with the tubes that I finally had to get his tonsils out, worst experience of my life! BUT it helped a ton! He does not get sick as much. BUT now I am having the same issues with my second one. He is always on an antibiotic even with tubes, so our next step is again, tonsils. It suck but you may want to consider this. It really does help. Hope things get better! Wish you Luck!

Buffy said...

I hope Bailey is feeling better, poor little girl!...and nice try Kim, but everyone knows, I'm always the favorite. :)

Carrie Anne said...

i'm so sorry! we know the feeling as we are not sick again, too! i feel like we just got over it! ugh! good luck...my sister in law has gone through a similar thing with her little boy & the tubes & he keeps getting sick too! i'm so sorry! tell dan we hung out with phil lewis a couple of weeks ago, so it means we really need to hang out with you guys before too much more time gets away! although james starts up some auditions this next weekend, so one of these days!!!! hope you're all feeling better SOOOOOOON & for good!:)

Monica said...

Poor little girl! That's crappy, sorry Laura. I hate when they're sick or have ear infections...plus you get NO sleep. I hope everything can work out for her. She is the sweetest little thing.